Wednesday, February 2

Rubbish

Day one of the remodel is complete, and our kitchen is gone. I came home at lunch to check things out, and it looked like an episode of Hoarders gone bad. Our dismantled kitchen piled on the lawn did not look as charming as it did attached to our house. The pile of old wood, and garbage bags full of refuse resembled a pile of rubbish coming out of tenement housing. Sad.

Not really... I was bouncing off the walls with excitement. My "sticky" old cabinets are gone. Fuck the charm. The dust and grime of 100 years could never be bleached off my cabinet doors. While functionally sound, my kitchen was a pit of despair, with endless dark corners where the 12 mugs from my wedding dish set went to die. I was cleaning out the area where I stored my baking stuff (a pile really due to such a large space), and found not one, but three containers of unopened Hershey's Cocoa, three partially used corn meal bags, and two unopened bags of panko. Awesome. I am not a Hoarder. I am short, my cabinets were HUGE, and even with a stool, there was no way I was going to be able to get to the back of the baking shelf easily. The shame.

Anyway, here are some shots from day one...

Day two will see our kitchen framed, our ceiling reinforced, our nook wall down, and the plumbing updated. YAY! Stay tuned.
Hoarders, Junction Style.
Where the sink used to be.
Our nook wall. Notice the lath and plaster. This was laid almost a 100 years ago. Prehistoric really.
Our chimney. The contractor said the floor was not sealed around the chimney, thus the flooding in the basement. Better the basement than our kitchen in my mind. We are leaving the chimney intact, and will be exposing it as part of the remodel. Just like this. Kinda charmingly Tuscan, right?
HA! Not.
The window in the nook. This will be french doors in Treehouse Kitchen v2.0.

Having a blast. Love.

1 comment:

Coco said...

That's some progress in just two days!!